Monday, October 24, 2011

Assignment #5 - Innovation Week

Our latest assignment this week was to take a week in which we had no FORMAL responsibilities except to just find something we have wanted to do or be curious about, and (as Nike would say...) "JUST DO IT!"

The initial plan that I had walking out the door last monday was to discover the functional usages for Google Earth inside the classroom and perhaps for the curriculum that I am in the process of developing. Tuesday afternoon I found multiple website, books, and articles that was leading me towards my goal. I was READY!! But then reality set in....

Tuesday I met with my research professor and my curriculum professor regarding the assignments that will be completed at the beginning of December. My world turned upside down, and panic began to set it. The idea of Google Earth was one of the lowest "to-dos" of my totem-pole, so I switched my focus. I needed to find something that would not add to my stress, but would reduce it.

That's ME in Idyllwild, CA!!!
Last 2 weekends ago my boyfriend, Brett, and I went to Idyllwild, CA and went to Suicide Rock to learn how to rock climb. The experience was so amazing for both of us, that we decided to make rock climbing an activity that we can do together and additionally it will increase our strength.

THIS past week we researched multiple websites looking at equipment such as shoes, harnesses, ropes, carabiners, and even places we could climb (indoor and outdoor) in the san diego area. We used Microsoft Excel to make a table of our individual and collective costs and even made charts that compared different companies prices (both online and in-store). By the time Friday came around we had a full financial plan of what we were going to buy, where we were going to buy it from, and how we were going to split the expenses. Saturday afternoon we went and purchases our new materials and joined Solid Rock Gym of San Diego (an indoor climbing facility in San Diego county).

The ironic part of the whole week was that I felt guilty for not sticking with my Google Earth initiative, however through our research for looking at places we could climb, Brett and I actually used Google Earth to look at places around the world we could climb one day. I was able to use Google Earth for its basic functions and I enjoyed it so much that I am excited to go back and see how it can engage my students in the classroom. The best part is that most of the research (the boring stuff) has been done but now I just need to comb through all the information and try it out for myself.


Just THOUGHT you'd like to know!!!

5 comments:

  1. That's great that you were able to incorporate technology into your rock climbing endeavors. I am excited for you as you found something you love and something you can enjoy with your boyfriend. Keep with that "just do it" attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the post. Rock climbing is something that I have always wanted to try and hope to some day. You will have to post all the pictures of you rock climbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go with the rock climbing! Awesome! As for Google earth in the classroom, I once observed Christine Kane (such an inspirational teacher) at SDGVA and she just happened to use Google Earth in her lesson that day. Basically it coincided with a lesson on Greek Mythology and she used to Google Earth make Greece real and tangible to her students. I could give you more details if you're interested:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post! I'm glad that you were able to use technology (as Marissa said) in your search for rock climbing gear and places (and how you ended up using Google Earth, which was your original intention) and that you guys were able to budget and start down this road together! I think it's really important to do things such as this with your significant others because it's really a bonding experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool!! I've always wanted to try rock climbing. Did you join the Solid Rock gym that is in Scripps Poway??? If so, I play soccer and softball at the Sportsplex that is right next door. We drive by Solid Rock all the time and I ALWAYS say that I want to try it out!!!

    ReplyDelete